What does saliva do to food in the oral cavity?
a. It partially digests it.
b. It completely digests it.
c. It mechanically digests it.
d. It prevents it from going into the trachea.
2. What is the role of the tongue in chewing and swallowing?
a. The tongue secretes saliva and moves food into the oropharynx.
b. The tongue chemically digests the food and moves it into the oropharynx.
c. The tongue manipulates the chewed food into a small mass and moves it into the larynx.
d. The tongue manipulates the chewed food into a small mass and moves it into the oropharynx.
3. All of these types of teeth cut and tear food except
a. Canines. b. Premolars. c. Lateral incisors. d. Central incisors.
4. All of these types of teeth crush and grind food except
a. 1st premolars.
b. 2nd molars.
c. 3rd molars.
5. The crown of the tooth is covered by _____; at its root, the tooth is covered by _____.
a. Enamel, cementum
b. Cementum, enamel
c. Enamel, dentin
d. Dentin, cementum
6. _____ muscles move the tongue and anchor it to the skeleton.
7. Taste buds are found in the _____ and _____.
a. Circumvallate papillae, filiform papillae
b. Circumvallate papillae, fungiform papillae
c. Fungiform papillae, filiform papillae
d. Fungiform papillae, fauces